Let’s Talk About It Tuesday Life After Caregiving



Life After Caregiving

Have you ever wondered what life looks like after caregiving?

I know I did.

I’ve experienced caregiving in two different seasons of my life. I’ve been a full-time caregiver, and I’ve also been a caregiver as needed. Before walking this journey, I never realized how different those two roles could be.

When I was caring for my mom, caregiving became my life. Every decision I made centered around her. My days were filled with doctor’s appointments, medications, meals, phone calls, and making sure she had everything she needed. Even when I wasn’t physically helping her, my mind was always with her. I was constantly thinking, What does she need? Is she okay? What comes next?

There wasn’t much room left for me.

And the truth is, I didn’t mind putting my life on hold because I loved my mom with all my heart. If given the chance, I would care for her all over again.

But after she passed away, I realized something no one had prepared me for.

I had to learn how to live again.

Today, I’m still a caregiver, but in a different way. I help my family when they need me. I check in, I show up, and I support them. But I’m no longer caregiving every minute of every day.

That transition hasn’t always been easy.

There were days I felt guilty for enjoying myself. Days when I wondered what I was supposed to do with all the time that had once been filled with caregiving. Days when I missed being needed by my mom.

Little by little, though, God has been helping me find myself again.

I’ve gone back to the gym. I’ve started gardening. I’ve made space for friendships. I’ve spent more time in God’s Word. I’ve allowed myself to dream about retirement, my future, and the vision He has given me for Grateful Caregiver.

I’ve learned that healing doesn’t mean forgetting.

It means carrying the love, the lessons, and the memories with you while giving yourself permission to keep living.

If you’re a full-time caregiver, I want to encourage you—don’t wait until your caregiving journey is over to care for yourself. Take a walk. Call a friend. Read a few pages of a book. Sit with your coffee in silence. Those small moments matter.

And if you’re in your life-after-caregiving season like I am, be patient with yourself. You’re not starting over. You’re discovering who you are beyond the title of caregiver.

Let’s Talk About It…

Have you experienced life after caregiving? What has been the hardest part for you? Or if you’re still in the middle of your caregiving journey, what is one thing you’re doing to make sure you don’t lose yourself?

I’d love to hear your story. We heal a little more every time we remind each other that we’re not walking this journey alone.

With gratitude,
Tee
Grateful Caregiver


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weariness comes and goes

Self care looks different

💜 LET’S TALK ABOUT IT TUESDAY Who’s Caring for the Caregiver? 5 Things I’ve Learned About Building a Support Team