π LET’S TALK ABOUT IT TUESDAY Who’s Caring for the Caregiver? 5 Things I’ve Learned About Building a Support Team
Before we talk about anything else, I want you to answer this honestly:
ππ½ If you needed help TODAY—no planning, no preparing, no trying to figure it out yourself—who could you call?
Do you have a name?
Or did you have to stop and think about it?
Because as caregivers, we can become so accustomed to being the person everyone calls that we don’t always stop to ask:
Who can I call?
I had to learn this personally.
When I was caring for my mom, I was her only child. So naturally, I felt like a lot of the responsibility belonged to me.
Appointments. Phone calls. Questions. Decisions. Medications.
And then there was still my own life—my husband, my daughters, work, home and everything else that didn’t stop just because I had become a caregiver.
I remember during my mom’s treatment there were medications that had to be picked up every week. I was working from home, but working from home certainly didn’t mean I was always available. Some days my schedule was packed.
I couldn’t just get up and go.
So I had to do something that wasn’t always easy for me.
I had to ask for help.
Sometimes I would ask one of my daughters, “Can you pick up your Grandma’s medicine?”
Other times, I would ask my husband.
It may sound like a small thing, but for someone who was used to handling things herself, it was a lesson.
I began to realize that just because I was my mother’s primary caregiver didn’t mean I had to be her only caregiver.
There’s a difference.
And if you’re the person everybody depends on, I want to remind you of something I had to remind myself:
Strong people need support too.
So when I talk about building a support team, I’m not talking about having a long list of people waiting to do everything for you. Sometimes your support team starts with just one or two people you trust enough to call.
Here are five things I’ve learned along the way:
1️⃣ Be honest about what you need.
Sometimes the hardest part is admitting, “I need some help.”
Maybe you need someone to pick up a prescription. Maybe you need someone to sit with your loved one while you run an errand. Maybe you need a meal.
Or maybe you don’t need anyone to do anything.
Maybe you just need somebody to listen.
That counts too.
2️⃣ Your support may come from unexpected places.
Yes, family can be part of your village. But your village might also include a friend, neighbor, church member, coworker, caregiver support group or community resource.
Pay attention to the people who genuinely ask, “What can I do?”
Sometimes we keep saying, “Nothing, I’m fine,” when we’re really not.
3️⃣ Tell people what you need.
People can love you deeply and still not know how to help you.
Instead of saying, “I have so much going on,” try being specific:
“Could you pick this prescription up for me?”
“Can you sit with Mom for a couple of hours?”
“Can you bring dinner tonight?”
Or even…
“I don’t need advice. I just need you to listen.”
That’s support.
4️⃣ Let people show up for you.
Whew. This one.
Asking is one thing. Actually allowing somebody else to do it is another.
You don’t have to control every detail.
If you have trustworthy people in your life who are willing to help, give them room to help.
Sometimes taking just one thing off your plate gives you enough room to breathe.
5️⃣ Make sure somebody is checking on YOU.
This may be the most important one.
Not Mom.
Not Dad.
Not your spouse.
Not the person you’re caring for.
You.
Who can you call when you’ve had enough?
Who knows when you’re saying “I’m okay” but you’re really not?
Who will pray with you?
Who will make you laugh?
Who will remind you to rest?
Every caregiver needs somebody who sees the person behind the caregiving.
Today, I’m on the other side of caring for my mom. I miss her deeply. And when I look back, I’m grateful for the people who helped me carry pieces of that journey.
I couldn’t do everything.
And I wasn’t supposed to.
Neither are you.
π YOUR TUESDAY CHALLENGE
Don’t just read this and keep scrolling.
Think of one person you trust.
Reach out to them today.
Maybe your message is:
“I’ve realized I’m trying to carry too much by myself. Can I count on you to be part of my support team?”
That’s it.
One person.
One conversation.
One honest request.
And if you already have your village, take a moment today to tell them:
“Thank you for helping me carry what I couldn’t carry alone.”
π¬ Now let’s talk about it:
Who’s one person on YOUR support team?
Drop their name, initials or simply a π in the comments to honor the people who help us keep going.
π Stay Connected
Grateful Caregiver Wellness Community is about more than caring for the person you love.
It’s about caring for you, too.
Stay connected for honest conversations, caregiver resources, encouragement, wellness experiences and a community that understands the journey.
π teehedgeman.com
π gratefulcaregiver@gmail.com
π Follow our weekly Let’s Talk About It Tuesday conversations on the Grateful Caregiver Blog.
πΏ SAVE THE DATE — DAY RETREAT
Sunday, October 18, 2026
We’re creating a day where you don’t have to be the caregiver.
Come and allow yourself to be poured into for a change.
More details coming soon. π
Until then, remember:
You deserve a support team, too.
Rise • Restore • Replenish
With love,
Tee
Grateful Caregiver Wellness Community
Comments
Post a Comment