September Reflections: Strength Beyond My Own

September Reflections: Strength Beyond My Own

September reminded me that being strong does not mean carrying everything alone.

This month, I reflected on what it feels like to be the strong one—the person others count on, even when you are tired yourself. Many caregivers know that feeling. We keep showing up, making decisions, and tending to everyone else’s needs. Sometimes we become so used to saying “I’m fine” that we forget to ask ourselves whether it is true.

I also shared a lesson I had to learn during my own caregiving journey: rest is not weakness. Taking a break can bring up guilt, especially when someone you love still needs care. But rest gives us room to breathe, reconnect with ourselves, and return with more to give. We were never meant to do this without support.

Then came a moment that brought September’s message home for me. I had my first speaking engagement, sharing A Caregiver’s Perspective: Finding Strength, Hope and Resilience. I was nervous about going first, and I ran out of time before saying everything I had planned. Still, people engaged with me. I showed up and shared my story. Afterward, I thought about how often I rely on my own strength when God has been inviting me to rely on His.

That is the thought I am carrying forward: When my strength weakens, God’s strength remains.

If September has been heavy for you, I hope you will give yourself permission to pause. Tell someone what you need. Accept help when it comes. Make space for rest without feeling that you have to earn it. You can care deeply for someone and still need care yourself.

As we move into October, I’m looking forward to gathering at the Restore & Refresh Wellness Experience on October 18. Registration is open! Bring a friend and join us for a time of connection, encouragement, and renewal. Link to register 

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/restore-refresh-a-wellness-experience-tickets-2000664894556

What did September teach you about your own strength—and where might you need support?

With grateful care,
Tee
Grateful Caregiver


Comments

  1. What a great reflection Tee! Thanks for sharing and keep choosing YOU, because God won't stop choosing you. I've realized also over these past three years that I can no longer be the strong one. Rest and self-care has been the best thing I did for my mind, body, and spirit. And saying no without feeling guilt, whew that was the one, but I'm glad that I let that go to prioritize me. Keep going Sis!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Sis\! 💜 And whew… you said something right there: **“I can no longer be the strong one\.”** That really spoke to me\.

      I’m learning that choosing myself doesn’t mean I love or care for others any less\. It simply means I’m finally making room to care for me, too\. And saying **NO without guilt**—now THAT is a whole journey\! 🙌🏾😂
      I love what you said: **God won’t stop choosing me\.** That’s a reminder I’m going to carry with me into this new month and this next season\.

      Here’s to both of us continuing to rest, set boundaries, choose ourselves, and trust God through it all\. Keep going, Sis\! We’re growing\. 💜🙏🏾

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SEPTEMBER’S THEME: STRENGTH BEYOND MY OWN

Weariness comes and goes

💜 LET’S TALK ABOUT IT TUESDAY Who’s Caring for the Caregiver? 5 Things I’ve Learned About Building a Support Team