Asking for Help Is a Form of Strength
Strength Beyond My Own
Asking for Help Is a Form of Strength
September’s theme for Grateful Caregiver is “Strength Beyond My Own.” And one thing I’m continuing to learn is that strength doesn’t always look like handling everything on my own. Sometimes, strength looks like recognizing when I need help—and being willing to ask for it.
The other day, I went for a walk. I was enjoying the moment when I suddenly started to feel a familiar feeling that I dread. I knew I needed to stop.
So I stopped walking and prayed.
For a moment, I thought I might need to call my daughter to come and get me. Thankfully, I never leave home without my inhaler. I used it, began to feel relief, and eventually I was able to finish my walk.
But something stayed with me from those few moments.
One of my first thoughts was, “I don’t want to worry anyone.”
And I immediately thought about caregiving.
We Don’t Want to Bother Anyone
As caregivers, we can become so accustomed to taking care of everything that asking for help feels uncomfortable.
We tell ourselves:
“I can handle it.”
“Everyone has their own problems.”
“I don’t want to bother anybody.”
“I’ll figure it out.”
I’ve been there.
During my caregiving journey, I had a village. I had people who loved me and were willing to help me. But even with a village, there were times when I hesitated to reach out.
Sometimes I thought it would be easier to just do it myself.
But having a village and using your village are two different things.
Asking for Help Doesn’t Make You Weak
That walk reminded me that there is wisdom in knowing when your own strength is not enough.
Asking for help does not erase your strength. Sometimes, asking for help is the strongest decision you can make.
There are seasons when we need someone else to carry a little of the load. Someone to sit with our loved one. Someone to pick up a meal. Someone to listen. Someone to pray with us. Someone to simply say, “I’ve got this part—you can rest.”
We were never meant to carry everything alone.
Galatians 6:2 reminds us:
“Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.”
God created us for community. There are times when He gives us strength to keep going, and there are times when that strength comes through the people He has placed around us.
Strength Beyond My Own
I finished my walk that day, but I walked away with more than completed steps.
I walked away with a reminder:
I don’t have to wait until I’m overwhelmed to ask for help.
Neither do you.
If someone has told you, “Call me if you need anything,” maybe today is the day to believe them.
Send the text.
Make the call.
Accept the meal.
Ask someone to sit with your loved one.
Tell somebody you’re tired.
Say, “I need help.”
That is not weakness.
That is wisdom.
That is self-care.
And yes—that is strength beyond your own.
A Question for You
As a caregiver, what sometimes keeps you from asking for help?
And who is one person in your village you can reach out to this week?
You deserve support, too.
With love,
Tee
Grateful Caregiver
Rise • Restore • Replenish
Comments
Post a Comment