If You Don’t Fight for Your Self-Care, It Won’t Happen
Talk About It Tuesday: If You Don’t Fight for Your Self-Care, It Won’t Happen
Today, I learned something about self-care:
Sometimes, you have to fight for it.
After three weeks away from the gym, I decided, Today, I’m going back.
I started getting ready early, hoping I could get out of the house before everyone woke up.
Well…that didn’t happen.
Before I knew it, the demands for my help started.
Can you do this?
Can you help with that?
I got sucked in.
And caregivers, you know exactly how that happens.
One small request turns into another. You tell yourself, I’ll just do this one thing before I leave. Then another thing comes up, and before you know it, the time you set aside for yourself is gone.
But this time, something was different.
I stopped.
I told myself:
“You are going to the gym.”
Not later.
Not tomorrow.
Today.
And I went.
It may sound like a small victory, but for me, it was a powerful reminder:
If you don’t fight for your self-care, it may never become a priority.
Caregivers, We Are Always Needed
When you are a caregiver, there will almost always be something—or someone—who needs your attention.
There will be appointments.
Meals.
Medications.
Phone calls.
Household responsibilities.
Work.
Family.
And unexpected situations that completely change your plans.
The list never really ends.
That’s why waiting until everything is done before taking care of yourself can be dangerous.
Because when is everything ever truly done?
Sometimes, we have to make a conscious decision:
“This moment is for me.”
That doesn’t mean we don’t care about the people who need us.
It means we recognize that we need care, too.
Self-Care Requires Boundaries
I realized that going to the gym wasn’t just about exercise.
It was about setting a boundary.
I could have stayed home.
I could have continued helping everyone.
I could have said, I’ll go tomorrow.
And honestly, that would have been easier.
But every time we consistently push ourselves to the bottom of the list, we teach ourselves—and sometimes the people around us—that our needs can always wait.
Sometimes self-care means saying:
“I can help you, but it will have to wait until I get back.”
That can feel uncomfortable, especially when you are used to being the person everyone depends on.
But boundaries are not about abandoning your responsibilities.
They are about making sure you don’t abandon yourself while fulfilling them.
Your Self-Care May Not Look Like Mine
For me that day, self-care was going to the gym.
For you, it might be:
Taking a 20-minute walk.
Sitting quietly with your coffee.
Going to a doctor’s appointment you’ve been postponing.
Calling a friend.
Going to church.
Taking a nap.
Reading your Bible or journaling.
Going to therapy.
Taking yourself to lunch.
Or simply closing the door for 30 minutes and saying, “I need some time.”
Whatever restores you, you may have to intentionally make room for it.
Because there will always be something competing for your time.
Talk About It Tuesday
Caregivers, let’s talk about it:
Have you ever planned to do something for yourself, only to have caregiving or family responsibilities take over?
Do you find yourself feeling guilty when you choose yourself?
And here’s the big question:
What is one thing you need to start fighting for when it comes to your own well-being?
Your health?
Your rest?
Your boundaries?
Your friendships?
Your quiet time?
Your dreams?
Yourself?
This week, I challenge you to choose one thing and protect it.
Put it on your calendar.
Communicate your boundary.
And when something tries to pull you away unnecessarily, remind yourself:
“I matter, too.”
Because I learned something after those three weeks away from the gym:
If I keep waiting for the perfect time to take care of myself, that time may never come.
Sometimes, you have to make the time.
Sometimes, you have to protect the time.
And sometimes…
You have to fight for it.
Rise • Restore • Replenish
Let’s Stay Connected!
Caregiving can feel lonely, but you don’t have to navigate the journey alone. Grateful Caregiver is a community where caregivers can connect, recharge, learn, and feel seen.
🌿 Read the Grateful Caregiver Blog
Join me every Tuesday for Talk About It Tuesday, where we have real conversations about caregiving, self-care, grief, family, wellness, and life beyond caregiving.
💬 Join Our Caregiver Community
Connect with other caregivers who understand the ups, downs, and everything in between.
☕ Join Our Weekly Check-Ins
Interested in a quick virtual check-in where caregivers can talk, share, encourage one another, and simply say, “This is how I’m doing today”? Let me know you’re interested!
✨ Attend Our Events & Experiences
Join us for caregiver wellness events, workshops, Self-Care experiences, community gatherings, and opportunities to simply have fun and recharge.
💜 Caregiver Spotlight
Know an amazing caregiver—or are you one yourself? Submit a nomination for our Caregiver Spotlight and help us celebrate the people who give so much to others.
🌐 Visit: teehedgeman.com
📧 Email: gratefulcaregiver@gmail.com
📝 Blog: gratefulcaregiver.blogspot.com
Rise • Restore • Replenish
— Tee with Grateful Caregiver 💕
Comments
Post a Comment