Let’s Talk About It Tuesday Who Takes Care of the Caregiver?
Is this you?
You make the appointments.
You remember everyone’s medications.
You check in on your parents.
You support your spouse.
You answer the late-night phone calls.
You comfort everyone else while quietly carrying your own worries.
Then someone asks, “How are you?” and your first response is, “I’m fine.”
But are you?
As caregivers, we become so focused on caring for everyone else that we often forget we need care too.
I know this because I’ve lived it.
For years, I cared for my mother after she was diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer. I became her advocate, her organizer, her encourager, and her daughter all at the same time. There were days filled with appointments, difficult conversations, and decisions no one ever prepares you to make. I wanted to make every moment count because I knew our time together was precious.
When my mom passed away, I thought the caregiving had ended.
Today, I help my husband as needed, and I work alongside my sisters to help care for our aging father as needed. While my caregiving role looks different than it did before, the heart of caregiving remains the same. Whether you’re providing care every day or stepping in when you’re needed most, the responsibility, concern, and love never really go away.
I’ve learned that caregiving isn’t always about the number of hours you spend caring for someone. It’s about the emotional weight you carry, the constant awareness of someone else’s needs, and the willingness to put your own life on pause when those you love need you.
For a long time, I believed taking care of myself could wait.
“I’ll rest later.”
“I’ll go to the doctor later.”
“I’ll start exercising later.”
“I’ll take a vacation later.”
Later became weeks, then months, and sometimes even years.
I finally realized something important: I cannot pour from an empty cup.
Self-care isn’t selfish. It’s stewardship.
When we neglect ourselves, our physical, emotional, and spiritual health begins to suffer. We become exhausted, overwhelmed, and disconnected from the very joy we hope to bring to those we love.
So today, I want to ask you a simple question:
Who is taking care of you?
Do you have someone you can call?
Do you ask for help when you need it?
Have you taken even 15 minutes this week to do something that fills your soul?
Maybe your self-care looks like reading a devotional with your morning coffee. Maybe it’s taking a walk, writing in your journal, praying, laughing with a friend, or simply sitting in silence without feeling guilty.
Whatever it is, you deserve those moments.
You matter.
Your health matters.
Your dreams still matter.
Your life is more than your caregiving responsibilities.
If no one has told you lately, let me be the one:
I see you.
I know the sacrifices you make that no one else notices.
I know the tears you’ve cried in private.
I know the strength it takes to keep showing up every day.
And I also know that you deserve support just as much as the person you’re caring for.
That’s why I created Grateful Caregiver—to remind caregivers that they don’t have to walk this journey alone.
Let’s Talk About It
Who takes care of you?
Share one thing you’re doing this week to care for yourself, or simply comment, “It’s time for me.”
You never know who your story might encourage.
Remember: You deserve the same compassion, patience, and love that you so freely give to everyone else.
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” — Matthew 11:28
Let’s Talk About It
I really want to hear from you today.
👉 What is ONE thing you are doing (or will do) this week just for YOU?
Or if it’s hard to even think of something right now, just comment:
💬 “I need to start taking care of me.”
No pressure. No judgment. Just honesty.
And if you feel comfortable, tell me this too:
👉 What is the hardest part about taking care of yourself right now?
Your answer might be exactly what another caregiver needs to read so they feel less alone.
You never know who your story might encourage.
Simple Caregiver Self-Care Checklist
☐ I drank enough water today
☐ I ate at least one nourishing meal
☐ I took my medication or vitamins
☐ I stepped outside for fresh air
☐ I took 5–10 minutes just for myself
☐ I asked for help when I needed it
☐ I did something that brought me joy
☐ I paused to breathe and reset
☐ I prayed, journaled, or reflected
☐ I reminded myself: I matter too
Remember: You deserve the same compassion, patience, and love that you so freely give to everyone else.
You don’t have to walk this journey alone.
💜 Join the Grateful Caregiver community for encouragement, resources, and support for your caregiving journey.
🌐 Visit: teehedgeman.com
📩 Sign up for updates, inspiration, and free caregiver tools delivered straight to your inbox.
💬 Follow along for weekly encouragement and real conversations for real caregivers.
We are better together.
Oh, this was such a great read and reminder to caregivers everywhere! We need this encouragement to help us see how precious we are as well and need the proper care to reset and restore both mental and physical state. Today, I'm choosing REST. Thank you Grateful Caregiver for this!!!❤️
ReplyDeleteYes Sis, please rest. Appreciate your feedback
ReplyDelete